There is a long story that goes with this quilt. I'll try to keep it as brief as possible, but with as much as we've been through, I owe it a full story.
First of all this quilt began as an exchange of applique blocks. There were 9 of us involved so we each used the Auntie's Garden pattern and selected 2 blocks each. We decided to do them in 30's reproduction patterns and a common white-on-white background fabric. Applique methods were only limited to no open edges. So some of these were hand appliqued, some machine, some a little of both (like mine).
I initiated the exchange and I think I was the most excited. There were lots of moans and groans. Applique is tedious and when you have to repeat the block 9 times.....whew!!! But we all completed our blocks on time and they turned out spectacular! This block is my bluebonnet block, and yes I hand appliqued all those tiny little circles on each block!!!! 
Now after the exchange there was still the task of putting the blocks together and then appliqueing the trumpet flowers and vine and leaves around the border. Oh my goodness it took forever to get that vine to curve the way I wanted it to!!! And it still wasn't perfect, but good enough. Then I machine appliqued all the flowers in place. Next came the leaves...but at this point....I was sick of applique. That is when a great idea came to mind....I'll just have my quilter quilt in some leaves!!! Oh I am a genius!!! You know what they say about necessity!
Ok, it had been about two years since this quilt was started and I had almost finished machine appliqueing the vine and trumpet flowers on. We were scheduled for a Retreat and I had planned to finish the quilt and hand it over to my quilter. For some reason, I didn't get to make it to retreat so the quilt sat unfinished in a pizza box awaiting completion.
I completely forgot about my great love, this applique quilt, for quite a long time. In fact, when we started talking about the next retreat which was about 6 months since the last, I began looking for my quilt to finish. It was no where to be found!!!!! I turned my sewing room upside down, I ransacked my closet where I hide stash and quilting magazines. I opened every clear plastic container in my quilting closet looking for this project. I even accused my husband of throwing away the quilt by mistake not knowing what treasures that particular pizza box held.
Finally after months of searching I was resigned to the fact that this quilt was gone. It made me sick at my stomach each time I thought of the hard work the other 8 ladies had put into their blocks, and me too. How much I anguished over the border and and how I would never get to use my clever plan to get out of appliqueing leaves. It was so sad........
Then, one day early this summer, right after I got my new sewing machine I decided to completely redo my sewing room. I totally moved furniture and boxes and....wait....what is in this pizza box turned on its side hiding over here in the corner? Oh the jubilation my heart felt when I opened it and there was my beloved quilt!!! And just in time to take it to this year's retreat to complete and turn it over to my quilter.
I love the meandering stitch all over that allows these beautiful flowers to bloom. And look at my leaves and tendrils!!! Aren't they adorable and the perfect solution when I was not going to applique any more! Thanks to Judy Wilson, my quilter, for seeing my vision.
There are 8 more sets of blocks out there just waiting to bloom. I think I am the only one that completed the top so far and it has been at least 4 years since this began. I told you I was the most excited!!!!



3 comments:
This quilt is just lovely and what a wonderful story to go with it! I wonder if there is a way to save these kinds of blogged "background quilt stories" so that 50-100 years from now, they could somehow be matched up with the quilt for a later owner. Just beautiful!
I love your Quilt. Where can I get the pattern! It is beautiful!
Jackie Spencer
n9zrk@rtccom.net
Your quilt is just beautiful!! How exciting to get it done! My mother has this pattern and I fell in love with it the first time I saw it. I am hoping it will be my next (only my 2nd) quilt. Feel free to share any tips, shortcuts with all of us who are aspiring to make this!
Post a Comment